Wednesday, June 27, 2012

UNDERSTANDING PHOTOCOMIX IN AMERICAN PHOTO MAGAZINE

Photobucket

I was asked by American Photo magazine to to produce an 8-page meta "photocomic" about myself making photocomix, something I've been doing in my "spare" time for the past two years as the series, CulturePOP Photocomix.  I decided to title the piece "Understanding Photocomix (a nod to Scott McCloud).  I managed to use words and photos to tell the story of how I first discovered photography, first started working freelance for magazine, how I produced my book The Brooklynites (with Anthony LaSala), how Leaping Tall Buildings came about,  and how I learned to combine my loves of comic books and photography into a wholly unique form.

I had only a week to put it all together, and it was amazingly challenging, but I am proud of the results which can be seen at magazine stands and bookstores now

No comments: