Wednesday, September 19, 2012

SETH KUSHNER'S UNDERSTANDING PHOTOCOMIX

Last spring, I was asked by American Photo magazine to to produce an 8-page meta “photocomic” about myself making photocomix, something I’ve been doing in my “spare” time for the past two-years as the series, CulturePOP Photocomix, where I've profiled such fascinating subjects as; Chuck Klosterman, Moby, Jonathan Ames, Stoya, Reggie Watts, Marc Maron and others.

I decided to title the piece “Understanding Photocomix" (a nod to Scott McCloud) and I used my own words and photos to tell the story of how I first discovered photography, first started working freelance for magazines, how I produced my book The Brooklynites (with Anthony LaSala), how Leaping Tall Buildings came about, and how I learned to combine my loves of comic books and photography into a wholly unique form. I had only a week to put it all together, and it was amazingly challenging, but I am proud of the results which ran in the July/August issue of American Photo Magazine.

Please have a look at the piece, which not only acts as a discussion of a form, but also serves as a "highlight reel" of my career.  View it here:

Seth Kushner's UNDERSTANDING PHOTOCOMIX


No comments: